Assumes responsibility and accountability for assigned residents. Provides professional nursing care to these residents incorporating the nursing process, the environment, technical equipment, and health care staff.
- Works under direct supervision using the Nurse Practice Act, BDRC policies, nursing standards, and nursing judgment.
- Assists with assessment by collection of data for assigned residents.
- Collaborates with other personnel regarding assigned resident’s plan of care.
- Carries our nursing actions safely and accurately, utilizing knowledge and skills to implement physicians’ orders and the nursing plan of care.
- Evaluates resident’s immediate response to nursing actions, collaborating with other personnel regarding effectiveness of care.
- Performs documentation in the nursing unit and in the resident record accurately, concisely, and in a timely manner.
- Participates in resident/family educational needs and instruction.
- Participates in ways to solve problems and make improvements in the unit.
- Cooperates in implementing planned changes and activities.
- Prioritize workload.
- Assumes responsibility for knowledge of and adherence to BDRC policy and structure and process standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency for designated resident populations.
- Displays competency in selected psychomotor skills.
- Seeks to increase knowledge base and skill level and assertively seeks guidance in areas of question.
- Performs efficiently in emergency situations, following established policies and standards.
- Demonstrates an awareness of self-responsibility and accountability for own practice.
- Participates in self-directed learning and in continuing education to meet own development.
- Communicates effectively with resident/family.
- Communicates all pertinent information concerning resident to appropriate health professional.
- Demonstrates ability to work with all health care members, residents, and families.
- Promotes a cooperative atmosphere within the work unit.
- Participates in unit quality management activities, as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident, personnel and institutional information.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to the rights of the resident/family.
- Functions with an awareness and application of safety issues as identified within the institution.
- Demonstrates awareness of legal issues in all aspects of resident care and unit function, and strives to manage situations in a reduced risk manner.
- Administers nursing care to residents under the direction of the DON, includes assessing residents, implementing resident’s plan of care and evaluating the resident’s response to care in coordination with the physician.
- Is knowledgeable in delegation of tasks to Certified Nursing Assistants and nursing technicians with residents.
- Works rotating shifts, weekends and holidays, as scheduled.
- Initiates emergency support measures.
- Assists with the provision of the care to residents (within qualifications) and participate in social and activity programs in order to help meet the physical, mental, social and spiritual needs of the residents to promote a happy, safe, and fulfilling environment.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a current license as a practical nurse or registered nurse issued by the State of Iowa.
- CPR Certification must be obtained within six months of hire.